Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Point for the Blog Team

So a little while back I wrote about a bitter author who bashed blogs and the internet in his book. Today I had the pleasure of reading a column in the newspaper written by a Duke writing and education professor who said that more professors ought to do what he does and teach writing by using blogs and the internet. He argued that the technicalities of grammar are not as important as having to think through an argument, then having that argument read by lots of other people (beyond just the professor) and then having to respond to others and defend yourself. There's a much greater vested interest in your writing when you know it will be published and read by others whom will then respond. The arguments are those of the real world and the author hasn't been backed into some corner and forced to argue for something. I think the professor rightly states that the traditional style isn't the best way to go.

Insert unrelated topic: Tomorrow if my first interview of the week. I'm pretty excited about this one and I really hope it goes well.

Unrelated topic #2: Tonight I got to hang out with a friend who graduated a year before me from my college and whom I haven't seen in well over a year. It was really really great to see her and spend a few hours catching up. It's put me in a good mood.

No comments: