Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Guess Who's Back?

Ok, so I've got about a hundred things I want to blog about. I think I'm going to have to break this up into more than one post or even more than one day.
First off, I'm back from Florida. Aside from it being a little too much family time, it was a nice trip. Well, that, and I'm pretty sure that hell feels like central Florida in August. We went to the usual Disney parks as well as Universal Studios and Universal Islands of Adventure. I'm a roller coaster junkie and think the best way to summarize the trip is with a Top 5.

So, here it is. My top five picks for rides...

1) The Incredible Hulk (Universal Islands of Adventure)

2) Fire Dragon - Dueling Dragons coaster (Universal Islands of Adventure)

The Dueling Dragons (Fire Dragon on the red track and Ice Dragon on the blue)

3) Ice Dragon- Dueling Dragons coaster (Universal Islands of Adventure)

4) Rockin' Roller Coaster (MGM Studios)


5) Revenge of the Mummy (Universal Studios Florida)

Aside from the rides, we stayed at the Walt Disney World Dolphin which is a very nice hotel on a small lake. From the hotel you can see, walk to, and ride a boat to Epcot, The Boardwalk, and MGM. You can't beat the location.

View of the Boardwalk and Epcot from our 17th floor room

View of the boat docking behind the Dolphi to go to the parks
While in Florida, on Saturday evening I got stuck going to Catholic mass with the family since we went right after dinner. I chose not to receive communion since I no longer consider myself Roman Catholic but I'm slowly becoming open to the idea that I can gain from going to services and talking to people from all different denominations and so sitting through the mass wasn't too torturous. I do really dislike the church (Mary Queen of the Universe Shrine) largely because it comes off as a commercial enterprise rather than a church, but I did take the picture below of their chapel's bell tower just as a thunderstorm was approaching and really liked the shot.
I think I'll save non-Florida updates for another post.

4 comments:

Creative Thinker said...

Hey dude -- welcome back -- Although I live in Memphis, I spend about a month of the year in Sarasota, Florida and every year. Every time I am in Orlando going down I-4, I pass that church and I have thought the very same thing about it. Isn't that funny...

Mike said...

Welcome back!!!

I love roller coasters. Never been to Disneyworld or any of the theme parks around it. My parents aren't fans of Florida weather, which explains why we've never gone. I'm kind of jealous... haha

Anonymous said...

We went in Apr 08.
I totally agree!
Hulk was defo the best coaster think it had about 11 inversions to slow it down. (you may have to correct me, was goin very fast)
Near misses on the dragons was awesome.
Fire was the better more intense 1.
Aerosmith was very very cool, especially inside and in the dark and those limos, what an awesome car ride.
That drop at the end of the mummy coaster was wicked!
I have to add the Simpsons ride and Jurrassic Park river adventure too.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I've never rode Dueling Dragons before. (I call it fire and ice, it's easier)

Redinky