Thursday, June 21, 2007

Religion Rant Part II (and other stuff)

A weak thunderstorm passed through just a little bit ago. I hate rainy days but I love thunderstorms. I have no idea why, but I'm just amazed by them.

If you want a good laugh, check out the June 18th post at http://goingtheotherway.blogspot.com/

On the job front, I got a lead on a job at an organization that does work with adults suffering from a variety of mental health issues, most of them Axis I diagnoses like schizophrenia, major depression, and bipolar disorder. It sounds like something I would really enjoy so I'll be sending a resume their way (after I post here of course).


Ok, and back to my ranting about religion. Yeah, not the smoothest segway ever, you'll just have to forgive me. While I was lap swimming last night, I was thinking about where I wanted this discussion to go and I was reminded of one of my biggest pet peeves in this department. Assuming I were to settle on God existing (something I haven't figured out in reality but that's why it's an assumption) I don't think that any single religion or church has gotten it right. People really seem to have screwed the whole darn thing up. My biggest annoyance is when people assume that they know what God is thinking or would want from people. Sure, some stuff is common sense. The whole, "treat your neighbor as you would want to be treated" and a prohibition against murder are pretty universal. Essentially, the basics boil down to respect for God, others, and yourself. I've got no problem with this kind of thinking. What I do have serious issues with however, is when you presume to tell me that the Roman Catholic Church is the one true church because God said so. Or when you say that someone is going to hell, as if you can read God's mind. Or, when you say that I ensure my own space in the fiery depths by physically acting on my attraction to men. Who the hell is any human being, to presume they know the thoughts and will of God? Ok, that's my rant for now.

While writing this post, I responded to an EMS call a few houses away and then had to leave the scene in my car to handle a diabetic emergency across town. Neither call was anything particularly unusual.

1 comment:

Mike said...

I'd say that the thing about the Christian/Catholic religion that bothers me the most is you are simply taught something- not how to defend it, which I have a real problem with.