Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Working Out and Weighing In

Ok, so now for a post that isn't me reccomending someone else's writing. I guess I can do a little work of my own.

My mom and sister went to our shore house for the day and my dad was at work so I had the house to myself. It was nice to have less going on and to be able to relax a little bit. I got a lot of the dumb little stuff done that I needed too.

While I'm busy looking for a job, it's an activity that I can't possibly spend all day on (and it would drive me nuts if I did) so I've decided that one of the things I could spend some of my time on is getting back into shape. I was a varsity swimmer in high school and was in really good shape then. For a year or so, I swam on a club swim team and was in the pool six days a week. Once I got to college, I kind of swam only on and off. One summer I got two friends together and we did a relay sprint triathalon. It was a lot of fun and we did really well, thanks mostly to the other two. Since then, I've slacked off again, but I've decided to get myself back into the swing of things. I really enjoy what it's like to be in shape and what it's like to do a good workout, feel the endorphins, and just all around seem to have more energy. So with that in mind, and of course to be a good gay guy, I've been getting back into the pool lately. I think one of the most important things to do when trying to get in shape or lose a few pounds is to pick an activity you like so that you'll actually do it. For me, this is, and and always has been, swimming. Those crazy folks who run often speak of a "runner's high," and I can promise you the same thing can happen in a pool. You get into a groove and just feel like you can swim forever. The other great thing about swimming is that it really gives me time to think. Even at a reasonably active YMCA pool like the one I swim at, when you're in the water, no matter how many people are around, you're really by yourself. It's just you and the water and the quiet that comes with being in it. So, I'm hoping that with all of these benefits, I'll stick to my workouts this time.

For anyone who might read for the EMS, I did a difficulty breathing/chest pain call tonight. As much as I'd like to tell people this on a regular basis I can't, but when your weight has three digits and the first of them is a 3, it's not hard to figure out where your medical problems are coming from. All the more reason for me to stick to the above. (I know that may have sounded harsh. As an EMT and someone with a psychology degree, I promise I'm well informed on issues of weight. I still think a little personal responsibility goes a long way though, and you won't get me to say otherwise.)

That's all from now. For those who might be interested, I'm thinking of tackling a kind of big issue in the near future, now that I'm getting used to the whole blogging thing. Yup, I'm thinking a discussion of religion might be in the works. Over the past six months, I've struggled a fair bit with the topic, particularly as a gay guy, and I think doing a little writing on it might be good.

No comments: