Saturday, October 6, 2007

One Week Down

So as of yesterday aternoon, I have survived my first week of the real world. Not only that, but I actually enjoyed it. I'm super excited about the job and feel very lucky to have found a position that I enjoy. It actually makes the 3 1/2 or more months I spent on the job search seem worth it.

Along with starting this new job, I have made a few other interesting discoveries.

1) I am pretty sure that one of my co-workers is gay. I can't really ask, but the gaydar alerts like crazy.

2) I am pretty sure that one, possibly two, of my younger female co-workers have an interest in me...this should be interesting...

3) I really want to learn American Sign Language. I'm working with people with physical disabilities and one of my first clients will be a woman who is deaf. I took several years of Spanish in high school, but never got very good. I'm wondering if this might be a better fit.

4) Money is more important to my mom than I had liked to think. My job is in social services. It is not a get rich quick scheme. But it is a job I think I'm going to love. And if I can wake up on a Monday morning and actually want to go to my job, and as an added bonus my job actually accomplishes something meaningful for people, this to me is more important than the size of the paycheck. While my pay isn't amazing, it's definitely adequate and the benefits that come with the job are very solid. My mom has made more than one remark about the job and its pay. I'm trying to nicely tell her to back off, but it's getting a little annoying. I find it ironic too, since my mom is a teacher.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad things are going well. I got out of a social services field, and make lots more money now, but oten have trouble with the fact my job has no real human purpose. I'm not helping people or giving back to society. Yours does so be proud.

Closet Frat Boy said...

lol gaydar alerts like crazy!
my gaydar is horrible.
awesome blog