Thursday, October 25, 2007

The Good, the Bad, and the...ok, there wasn't any ugly...yet...

So today at work was the absolute perfect example of everything I love about my job and what I hate about it (which is really rather minor so far).

The part I love...My schedule today involved a few hours of paperwork. I then visited a client before going home for lunch. I ate lunch and took a 20 minute nap at home before going straight to a worksite to visit a client. I wrapped up the day with some emailing and a staff meeting. I love the way I get to plan out my own day and don't have to spend all of my time at a desk.

The bad part...Much of my paperwork was the result of a crisis situation in which we had to deal with an irrate client and her parents. The state is now conducting a review of both their handling and our handling of the case. I can honestly say that we did everything we were supposed to and then some on our end. From what I can tell, it also looks like the state did what they were supposed to. It's very frustrating to be a non-profit dedicated to helping people but to have to put up with those who need and request the help but do not appreciate our effort. Furthermore, we're now forced to take up valuable time that could be spent on other clients to deal with the ridiculousness.

Oh well, such is life in social services. Overall, I still love what I'm doing and it's going very well. I'm now really starting to do work on my own and that too is proving to be a fun adventure.

2 comments:

Mike said...

Glad to hear the new job is going great. That's very cool!!!

Wanted to take a moment to say hi... I've been away for a few weeks and haven't been around the blogs much lately.

Closet Frat Boy said...

Working in social services I've heard is a tough job so kudos for that. I know that I couldn't [would'nt'] do that.