Thursday, October 18, 2007

The Answer is No

So my third week is going as well as the last two weeks. I'm still really enjoying the work and will start to be operating on my own more in the near future. The work is definitely very tiring, but no one said social services would be easy and it's nice to see that the work matters.

Today I did get one of those questions I hate. A co-worker (who I really do like) asked me if there was a significant woman in my life. Not significant other, but significant woman. Now the fact is that I am single right now and so the answer is no to either question, but I wish people would leave the door open by asking if there was any special person. This is definitely not the first time I've received this question. Assuming I wanted to be out to my co-workers and did have a significant other, the only way to honestly answer would involve making them pretty uncomfortable. Well, I do have a boyfriend...The amusing thing is that I'm working in a social services position, a field largely dominated in my experience by women and gay men. Oh well. It'll take time I guess.

5 comments:

B said...

I think most people's natural assumption is that everyone is straight unless they are told otherwise, so it's an automatic thing to ask about the opposite sex. It annoys me too sometimes, because to give a full answer I'd have to out myself, which isnt something I'm prepared to do with most people yet.

dit said...

I agree with b. Most people assume they are what they, themselves are. For example, I assume everyone is gay. Cause the other lifestyle, you know that straight one? I just do not approve of that. lol

I find it annoying too. Before I came out. My family was always asking . . . who is the lucky girl? As if! lol

J.R. said...

Yeah, that assumption most people have that everyone who isn't flaming must be straight can make for a lot of awkward moments. Romance is such a universal topic, though, people love to bring it up pretty quickly in a friendship just to find something relateable. The thing is, how early in a friendship are you ready to let on that you're gay. I mean, you don't want to wait too long so that you're having to fully "come out," but it's also not the first thing I want to talk about when I make a new buddy!

Work is especially tricky since my general feeling is that it really isn't the business of your co-workers what makes up your love-life. But lately I'm going out with them and making good friends with them... so this general idea of friends should know, co-workers don't need to... well, it's breaking down. Ha. Most of these guys initially assumed I was straight, and they majority of them likely still do. Maybe one or two have a question mark over my head.

Nothing Golden Stays

Anonymous said...

Agree with B as well. People mean well, they just aren't always thinking of all of the possibilities.

Glad you're happy at work.

jay said...

Generally I try to keep my office life and personal life separated. I haven't had that question from anyone at work but that's probably because I don't hang around ppl at work who are around my age much.